Wild Mushroom, Ramps and Fiddlehead Rissoto!
-1/2 cup ramps, finely chopped
- 8 ounces bacon, sliced and chopped
- 1-2 cups of mushrooms ( we used shitake, maitake, oyster)
- 1 cup wild greens (we used dandelion)
- 2 cups parboiled fiddleheads, coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 or more ounces butter
- 18 ounces arborio rice
- 1 glass white wine
- 6 cups of chicken stock
- 2 ounces grated parmesan cheese
1) In a heavy bottomed pot, saute the ramps, mushrooms, greens, bacon and fiddleheads in the oil and butter for a few minutes
2) Add the rice and heat for a minute or so stirring gently to prevent burning. Add the wine and let it evaporate.
3. Cup by cup add the warmed stock and stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Keep risotto at a gentle simmer throughout the cooking. As the stock is absorbed gradually add more. Continue to add the stock as required until the rice is cooked. The risotto should be runny but not liquidy. Toward the end of this process still in the parmesan!
Enjoy! No photos it was eaten to fast.
The remaining ramps and dandelion greens were made into pesto with some basils, lemon juice and cashews! Now to get over to Whole Foods to buy some Mugwort Pasta!