Sawmill Herb Farm CSA-Florence MA
Last week I had the pleasure of meeting Susan Pincus (pictured left) and Lilly Demers (pictured right) and their small scale herb farm in Florence, MA just as they are beginning their herb growing 2016 season
What really caught my interest was their Fresh Herb CSA The bi-weekly program that offers shares which are composed of a diverse assortment of farm fresh medicinal and culinary herbs ready for home use. Perfect for use in teas, cooking, drying or for processing into body products and extracts.
These shares are designed to empower you to take charge of your whole health through providing you with the freshest products and ongoing educational resources in your exploration of all that healing herbs have to offer.
What a perfect offering for herbal students, I especially thought of those students who move to the area to take part in an herbal program and are eager to build their apothecary while here before headed home and often do not have space for gardens. A great add on program that would add to the experience of those students taking the Blazing Star Herbal School Apprenticeship- in fact that is how I first heard about this innovative program now in its 4th Year!
Here is how it works-
- Every other week you will receive 5 bunches of fresh herbs of your choosing (based on what’s in season) along with an e-newsletter including in depth explanations of the benefits of selected herbs along with recipes and tips on how to use, process and store what you’ve received.
- Customize the herbs that make up your share on a weekly basis with an easy online login program
- If you just can’t get enough, purchase bulk fresh and dried herbs from us throughout the season to supplement your share
- Learn more about herbs and whole health through participating in our Vibrant Health workshop series or talks, workshops and plant walks at the farm.
- Participate in community work days – On select weekends throughout the season join us out at the farm and get your hands dirty with your fellow CSA members!
- those wanting to build up their home herbal apothecary or culinary pantry
- herbalists and herbalism students who want access to fresh ingredients for drying and medicine making endeavors
- beginners new to herbs who want to learn by doing while having the support of an informative newsletter and access to on-farm education
I know I wish I had a fresh herb farm share when i was starting out!
New this year Sawmill is also offering an Apothecary Share- Tasty herbal remedies already made for you! Receive a monthly box of lovingly handpicked small batch herbal products each with a unique theme designed to give you the support you need for the season at hand and bring you in closer harmony with nature’s rhythms.Each month’s box will contain four handcrafted products that will be a surprise upon opening. The contents of a box may contain any of the following; teas, herbal elixirs & seasonal tinctures, bitters formulas, herbal syrups, herbal infused oils, salves & balms, flower essences, herbal honeys & salts along with accompanying educational information detailing relevant herbal wisdom and lore along with tips for staying healthy and vibrant throughout the current season. AND you don't have to be local as they will ship these shares to you!
Sawmill Farm also participate in several local farmers markets here in Western MA
Amherst at the Amherst Farmers Market Saturday 9 – 1:30
Northampton at the Tuesday Farmers Market behind Thornes Marketplace, Tuesday 1:30 -6:30 pm
Sawmill Herb Farm is a grower of medicinal and culinary herbs dedicated to providing our local community with healing plants and ongoing educational opportunities on herbal medicine and healthy living. We offer a Fresh Medicinal Herb CSA during the growing season and an Apothecary CSA year round. We are a supplier of herbal tea blends, bulk herbs both fresh and dried and offer many different herbal products. We have a seasonal internship program and host workshops throughout the growing season.